In order to obtain the allowance you must take the following steps:
- If you are working, visit the career councellor in the Unemployment Insurance Fund. We have counsellors in each county and you can book a session via the self-service portal (logging in with your ID card Mobile ID) or by contacting a career counsellor at your nearest Unemployment Insurance Fund office. The contact details of our counsellors can be found here: contact details of career counsellors. If you have registered as unemployed, you can obtain information from your job mediation consultant or case manager.
- The career counsellor will ask questions about your previous education and work experience and together you will discuss what kind of skills or knowledge you need to find a new job or continue working. The career counsellor helps you to assess whether training is suitable for acquiring these skills.
- The counsellor checks whether there are curricula supported by the Unemployment Insurance Fund in the chosen field and – if you belong to the target group for receiving the allowance – agrees with you on the support for participation in degree studies and the deadline for starting studies in the action plan. The allowance will be paid if you start vocational education, professional higher education, or higher education studies within 12 months at the latest of agreeing on the participation in degree studies in the action plan.
- Please submit an application to the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund to apply for the allowance. The fund will check whether you meet the eligibility requirements as at the date of receiving the application. You can submit the application before the consultation or during the consultation. The application must certainly be filled before the date of being enrolled at the educational institution, or within 30 days, at the latest, of being enrolled at the educational institution. You can submit the application via e-töötukassa, send an e-mail or a letter by post to the most suitable office of the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund, or submit it on site at the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund office. You can find the application form on the website of the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund.
- The Unemployment Insurance Fund will consult the Estonian Education Information System to see whether you have commenced your studies. If the data on your studies are registered there and they meet the conditions for receiving the allowance, you will start receiving a monthly degree study allowance.
- If you a reregistered as unemployed and you have not been employed for at least 180 days in the 12 months before being registered as unemployed, your status as unemployed will be terminated due to you commencing degree studies.